Sunday, September 9, 2012

Ombre Hair?

A few weeks ago, my friends came to visit from out of town. I hadn't seen them for a few months and the first thing they noticed about me was my hair. It had grown so long and apparently, it was also in style. I really don't pay much attention to hair trends so I didn't understand what the trend was.

Apparently, this hairstyle called "ombre" is in and all the celebrities are wearing it. That's when you wear your hair dark at the roots and a lighter color closer to the tip. Here's a sample pic below:

                                                      In this picture, actress Jamie Chung is sporting ombre hair.

I was pretty shocked because I was thinking I looked all ghetto with my hair this way. You see, I had enjoyed maroon colored hair for about a year until I decided I wanted my natural hair color back, so I grew it out. The color treated parts eventually faded into a pleasant copper brown color. Earlier this year, I started getting compliments for my hair.

The first time someone complimented my hair, I actually thought they were mocking me or something. Some girl came up to me and told me she liked my hair. I swear, I wanted to kick her ass because I thought she was pulling a "mean girl" on me. haha. A few weeks later, I got a compliment from an acquaintance. I just gave a her confused look and told her she was crazy.

Can you believe that? I didn't even realize that it was the trend. And there I was, embarrassed about the way my hair looked. All the while, everyone else is trying to get the same style. And now that I think about it, the hairstyle is pretty cute, no? Alas! Now I can let my hair grow out without being ashamed of my cheapness. Yay!

This reminds me of the time in sixth grade when I had dug through my mom's old clothes and found some cute bell bottom pants. I decided to wear them to school one day, not really thinking anything of it. Well, one girl came up to me and said (referring to my bell bottoms), "this isn't the 60's." Or something to that extent.

Needless to say, I was embarrassed and did not wear them again. But you know what? A few months later, bell bottom jeans came into style and everyone started wearing them. WTF?! Why did I let that stupid girl shame me into not wearing my mom's bell bottoms again?

Moral of the story? Who cares about what anyone says or thinks about the things you do or say. Just do your thing and be yourself. Because you never know when what you're doing today becomes what everyone else is doing tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment